Sunday 28 March 2010

Train service announcements as an indicator of cultural decline

On my last journey into Zurich, I found that the train was to terminate at Olten instead of its usual destination. The announcement was made in German but not in English or French (in which languages all announcements are usually made on this route, as the route ends up in the French-speaking part of the country).

Announcement was also made in German of the different alternative train services that passengers could use if they wished. Again, no announcement in French or English.

On my way back, I changed trains in Winterthur and noticed that my train ARRIVED at the platform 1 minute and 5 seconds AFTER it was scheduled to have LEFT - with no announcement and no apology in any language, either on the signboards or by the train conductors.

No comments:

Post a Comment